Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Don't Like Valentine's Day, but I Love Baking.

I know baking cupcakes is pretty self-explanatory, but I've had some requests for cooking/baking videos, so I decided that this was the perfect time to do one. Just so it's more of an actual TUTORIAL, I did throw in a few basic baking tips and tricks. I'm no pro, but this is the first video tutorial I've ever filmed for anything. The item I refer to that my grocery store didn't have is powdered milk. There is one variety, the labeling is all in Spanish, and the canister is 64 oz. Under no foreseeable circumstances would I use 64 ounces of powdered milk when I'm not even sure if it's what I need.

Let me preface this video with... I don't like chocolate cake. I adore chocolate. I love brownies and most chocolate cookies, but most chocolate cakes, to me anyway, are dry, too dense, and the chocolate flavor isn't as intense as I would like. My family voted for me to do Devil's Food cupcakes, but I knew if I did, I wouldn't enjoy them. So I decided to try out the chocolate fudge mix.

For a mix, I was really impressed with the overall texture and flavor. I baked them for 18 minutes in a 350 degree oven (the low end of the suggested baking time), and they came out perfectly done and even, which is miraculous in my oven. Though completely cooked, they had a wonderfully soft, fluffy texture, and the chocolate flavor was very rich and satisfying (the frosting may have helped out with that a bit).

Another issue I often have with cupcakes/cakes is the density. I know a lot of people prefer a very fine crumb in their cake, but I like when the eggs and leavening agents do their job and the end result is is a light, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth cupcake. I definitely needed to eat these over a plate or napkin.

And I haven't the slightest idea why the video box is showing up so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment